The good the bad and the shed – first published 19 August 2014

Things don’t always go to plan. At least not in my world. No matter how much I tell myself I will do better next time or how many hours I spend plotting things out, there is always something to throw a spanner in the works. August 2014 was a lesson in going with the flow and working round problems. 

19 August 2014

After my Sunday walk Commando wanted to visit the cafe his father loved to go to. Unfortunately it is of the greasy spoon variety. I’d already had a skinny latte and was planning a very light lunch. What I got was a toasted bacon sandwich. Afterwards we went to the little crooked house where Commando was born to do some more sorting. Commando tackled the loft which was, thankfully, not as full as we’d feared. Then he moved on to the cellar. We both thought we find another loo roll mountain and probably a baked bean one. As Commando said, the two go together quite well. As it was, the cellar was empty apart from the spiders, but Commando insisted I go down to see for myself. In his teens Commando, Commando Senior and Uncle Ray dug this out over a weekend. It was dark, damp feeling and scary. In my imagination there could easily have been a body or two. CJ loved it. I couldn’t get out fast enough.

My Sister in Law and I made inroads on the clothes and linen. It was hard to be going through his things, disrespectful somehow, but needs must. There are now five big bags to go to the charity shop and several more to go to my Sister In Law’s church. We divided up the pretty covered coat hangers and now I have more than I know what to do with but I’m not complaining.

There was supposed to be a long walk on Tuesday morning, the long postponed Ealing Tide Mill extravaganza. I’d researched bus time tables and routes, knew exactly what I was doing (well as much as I ever do) and was looking forward to it. The weather even looked promising. It wasn’t to be though because the shed people couldn’t say whether they were delivering in the morning or afternoon so I had to stay in waiting. Maybe another week…

So, with time on my hands and a need to stay indoors waiting, I had a bit of a clear out. Going through Commando Senior’s things has left us with rather a lot of random stuff kicking about needing a home and I’ve become very conscious of the fact we have a fair bit of our own useless stuff. As Commando was asleep I began with the shoe mountain. I’m a girl, I like shoes, but even I had to admit that the trainers I walked my first Moonwalk in had to go, along with the Rocket Dog pumps with holes in the bottom. The shoe mountain is now merely a hill, I’ve sorted the scarves and hats too and done some cleaning.

Time for a coffee I thought, and a think about what to do next. No sooner had my bum hit the chair than the shed people arrived. This was way more exciting than it really ought to have been but we have waited so long for this shed. I’m pretty sure the delivery men thought I was a nutter because I could hardly contain myself. Of course Eighty Four Pairs of Shoes across the road was walking past just as they began to get it off the truck. By now the whole neighbourhood will know we have a new shed.

Somehow they manhandled it through the gate and propped it against the side of the house. It’s hard to believe this pile of wood is going to turn into a nice blue shed. That part is down to Commando although I will help with the painting. Quite when we will find the time is another matter.

After they’d gone, I pootled round the garden to see what was what. The first tomato is definitely changing colour but the others still look very green. The sunflowers are still going strong and I have harvested my first seeds. There has to be an easier way to get them out of the shells though. Suggestions welcomed. Another flower has appeared on the unidentified vegetable. Fingers crossed this one becomes a fruit, just so I know what kind they are. Other than that and the last of the nasturtiums (at least I think it will be the last), nothing exciting is happening out there.

I might have missed my long walk but there was a walk up the hill after lunch for the things I forgot yesterday. Why does that always happen even when I make a list? After that we went down to the Little Crooked House for some more sorting out. An hour or so later and a few more boxes to add to the pile in the gym and we’d reached saturation point. Still, we are getting there slowly.

Some days the tide of unexpected things is too strong to resist. You can cling with all your might to the rocks of the plans you have made, or you can let go and let the current take you where it will. Today was a lesson in going with the flow. Hopefully the current knows where it’s taking me.

Please see my copyright information before you copy or use any of the above words or pictures.

Published by


Writer, walker, coffee drinker, chocolate eater, lover of nature, history and the little things that make me smile

2 thoughts on “The good the bad and the shed – first published 19 August 2014”

  1. When my Dad died my Mum did the clearing out, and when she died my 2 brothers did most of it. I KNOW they did this to spare me and I’m grateful, but even more grateful that the brothers didn’t finish and I was thus able to stumble across my father’s love letters to my mum. This was in 2013 and I then spent 18months poring over them and turning them into a book with photos and memoirs. It was tremendously therapeutic. ‘visiting the cafe his dad liked’: that’s just the sort of thing I would do.
    PS I kind-of lost yr blog for a couple of weeks, don’t quite know what happened but I used to get an email when you posted a new one, but now I have to seek it out through ‘reader’. It’s happened to nearly all the blogs I follow, weird?

    1. My sister did most of the clearing out when my mum died because I’d just had a baby and was slightly tied up. It was very difficult clearing Albert’s house though, especially for my husband. Those love letters were a real find. We were lucky that Albert began to write his memoirs, sadly, he didn’t get time to write as many as we’d have liked though.

      As for blog following. That happens to me to from time to time. I think there’s a glitch in the system. I’ve been very bad at catching up over the last couple of weeks because of being in Canada and also because Commando has been ill since we have been back. I’ll try to do better soon. 🙂

Why not tell me what you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.